Sunday, July 29, 2007

Disappearing Shanghai

Shanghai has been great to me and most foreigners would agrre that we enjoy a nice lifestyle here. From the great food, to the nightlife, and cheap massages, it is hard not to enjoy yourself. In addition, everyone will also tell you that Shanghai is not the "real" China and you only need to venture a few cities away to find out what that exactly means. I agree with all of this but there is also something tragic happening to the "real" Shanghai. With the winds of modernization sweeping through the city, a bit of traditional Shanghai dies a little more each day. In China's quest to build a modern city, the traditional dwellings and blocks that give Shanghai it's character are being destroyed to make way for new modern apartment buildings.

Now I understand that people would rather have modern dwellings if given the choice but I also question whether those dwellers being pushed out are the same that are going to be occupying the new high rises. I would guess that they do not have the means. Therefore along with losing the traditional blocks and buildings, the Shanghainese are being pushed out further in the way every modern city gentrifies.

I had a fascinating time shooting this phemonenon a few blocks away from where I live. There are many dwellers still living in this site and others are just shifting through all the wreckage. I have always liked shooting buildings, construction, and city life, and I am exciting to continue to document this aspect of the city. Photos located here.

No comments: