Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Serious singing

People always ask me about the most shocking thing I have seen so far in Shanghai. At first, I might have said the kids with the crotch-less pants or the men walking around in boxers and loafers but two weeks ago that all changed. Two weeks ago, when LB was here, we happened upon something I had never seen in the Western world. It was a Friday night and we were crossing Fuxing Park, near my apartment, when we came across a large hotel-like building. It had a grand lobby with many rooms and it was packed with Chinese people. As we were taken around the facility, it became evident that this was not a hotel but instead a massive karaoke center. Yes, a hotel of karaoke rooms. This place had multiple floors and every sized karaoke room you could imagine. The Chinese take their karaoke very seriously and it is huge here. Always a good time. I am sure there are plenty of more shocking things about to come my way, especially when I head out beyond Shanghai.

No comments: